Sunday, January 6, 2013

Striking Beet Pancakes from simplygorgeousfood.com

Ever wondered where the original color of a red velvet cake comes from?  Ever cut open a bright red beet and immediately feared for the life of the white shirt you were wearing?  Yes, beets have historically been the color altering agent used in red velvet cake, and they have a tendency to pigment anything that they get near.  Well, I was feeling slightly adventurous, (nothing out of the ordinary).  I decided to think of the most unorthodox food combinations that I could conjure up and type them into google to see if any other creative individual like myself had ever created any similar combination.  This is a small game that I play, usually when I am hungary and also when I am in need of some sort of amusement other than short-sheeting a family member's bed... Anyway, I came across this fabulous recipe for beet pancakes on simplygorgeousfood.com.  Depending on how much beet you use, the pancakes come out a perfectly pink hue, or a striking crimson red!  Mine were more red then pink. They came out very moist, thanks to the yogurt, and were flavored with a mildly sweet hint of beet.
Wouldn't these be sweet in the shape of hearts for Valentine's Day morning!  But, no need to wait until then.  These would brighten up any gloomy January day, when it is cold, and rainy, and windy, and it is as dark at 2:00 pm as it is at 8:00 am...so anyway, try them out, and let them brighten up your day!!!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment